There were just 38 states under the command of then President, Ulysses S. Grant when William Aylward Sr. began Aylward Plow Works in 1872. It was in the wake of the Civil War, the country was starting over and had a need for industry. Aylward Plow Works answered and began by manufacturing cast-iron plow blades, stoves, bean pots, barn door rollers and sleigh shoes. In 1904, the name was changed to Aylward and Sons and began to manufacture what the company is known for today, quality castings, which began with producing construction castings in 1904. In 1922, the company was re-named to Neenah Foundry Co. In 1928, Neenah produced their first industrial products, and in 1946, the first automated molding machines were installed and Hydro Slingers were added as an automated line. Advancement after advancement, Neenah has forged its way — whether by upgrading molding machines in the 80s, when the BMD was added and in the early 90's when the Disa's were added or by installing KW molding machines in the 21st century. Neenah has become the most comprehensive manufacturer of municipal castings in the country. Since those early days, Neenah Foundry has maintained the delicate balance between past and present. Neenah Foundry engineers technical solutions to complex problems, all the while, holding onto the simple values of producing quality products for our customers. As our history shows, we are more than a foundry, and constantly strive to remain the leader in the industry.